Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Softball's Done & More Two-a-Days

Well, the season's over for softball. We lost 11-4. We gave up two in the first and three in the second with some more unearned runs. It just wasn't our night. To only score four runs wasn't good either. I was 0-for-2 with two walks, so I didn't help too much.

This may be it for me for good. I don't want to pull a Brett Favre (in retirement only....certainly not talent) and then come back, but I think I'm not going to play next year. There's a lot of factors that come in to play:

-The league is down to four teams
-Our "church" team only has two people from the church (this doesn't include me since Beth & I go to a church much closer)
-It's a 45 minute drive each way.
-The beginning of the season conflicts with track
-The rest of the season conflicts with some of the triathlon travels

It's tough because I LOVE playing fastpitch softball (versus slowpitch) from a hitting standpoint....bunting, stealing, slapping....and the fact that I've now been pitching a lot the last few years. But, I think it's about time.

On the running front, we're still putting in doubles. This morning, we had a 1 mile warm up, 3 miles on the road and then 3x1600m. It was a tough workout--we were supposed to drop 10 seconds off each time starting with 5:50.

I was with a pretty good freshman and our splits were- 5:52, 5:35, and 5:38. So, we didn't accomplish our objective, but I was pretty pleased that I was able to put together two miles under 5:40.

So, now we're watching the Olympics. I can't say enough how amazed I am at Michael Phelps. How about that 4x100m relay and the comeback by the USA? How about Phelps' 200 freestyle? He crushed everybody! It seems like on his flip turns he's under the water while everybody else has already done 2-4 strokes. Amazing.

US Basketball is on a roll now. I hope they keep hungry and play defense. China and Angola aren't among the best teams. The Olympics are off to a great start and there's so many great events left to watch.

Beth is coming to my school tomorrow to give a Nutrition Talk to the cross country teams (girls after the am practice; boys before the pm). I'm excited to see how the kids react to Beth, she's kind of like a role model to them! We'll give details later this week....

No comments: