Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Attacked by Flipper

You've heard of people being attacked by a shark? How about Flipper? No, not flipper the dolphin, but rather flipper the fin that I used when I do the morning swim at school.

The big boys were doing this crazy 4x200-100-100 workout and Ben and I decided to try to hang with them...of course with fins. Because of the intervals, my sets were more like 400's, but that's okay--it'll make me better. At some point during the second or third set, I felt some serious rub on a couple of my toes on my right foot.

By the end of the third set, I had to take the fins off because my foot was nearly burning. After finishing out the workout, I noticed that I was missing some skin on the top of the two toes. Ouch. So, I get up to my room and put some band-aids on and go about my day at school.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I run with the distance guys (M-W-F conditioning inside with the sprinters). The coach asked if I wanted to go with the "big dogs" today and I figured why not since I'm getting the chance to recover from road runs for a day. Also, I know that I can hang with the top guys in the middle of December....not so much in October or April & May. We had a nice crisp 6+ mile run...well, a run for them more like a tempo workout for me. There was a little of snow on the sidewalks, but not too bad.

Nice win for the Steelers Sunday--another of the come from behind variety. I'm not convinced that Holmes got the ball in the endzone, but I'll take it. Up this week is a game at Tennessee. If the Steelers win and then finish off the season with a win against the Brownies, they'll be the #1 seed in the AFC East. We'll see what happens. One game at a time.

One final note, I'm excited about Beth's venture into the small business world. She's starting a nutrition counseling business. She's got lots of great experience in nutrition and athletic competition, so it's a perfect fit. It was fun seeing her back in August speaking to the XC teams--she's going to do great. So, if you or anyone you know is interested in Nutrition Counseling, get in touch with Beth.

2 comments:

Angel said...

O--I always hated the fin blisters! It may get you some strange looks but if you get womens knee-his and cut them off so they are just over your feet (they also sell them made this way at Target and places) I stopped getting them. HTH! Excited to hear more about Beth's venture, I think it is a great idea.

Jennifer Harrison said...

HA! You know what we do? Well, when new swimmers are getting 'used' to their fins? Wear socks. Seriously....then, the feet will toughen up..(just like racing in flats w/o socks in Triathlon) and then you can get rid of the socks. Kinda like tough love on the feet! HAVE FUN!