Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Snow 9, Weathermen 3

The actual inches vs the predicted inches on Monday...

So much to write about with the 'solo' weekend while Beth was in Tucson--I'll have to get to that eventually.


Back to Monday:

The problem with the snow (it ended up being about 9 inches) was the roads really didn't get treated before it started (3pm) because it arrived about 2 or 3 hours before they thought it would. On top of that, PennDOT then had to scramble and bring in a lot of workers (since it was President's Day holiday and a lot were off). By then, it was too late. There was 2 or 3 inches of snow on all of the roads at the height of rush hour. Cars parked on the road or on the sides of roads. Snow continuing to fall until 10pm at a rate of about 1 inch per hour. Disaster all around that made my trip home three hours.

But, I got home in one piece and the neighbor checked in on Roxy. So, all was well.

As this was unfolding, Beth's flight (supposed to land around midnight) got rerouted to Detroit because Pittsburgh had to close down the runways for a bit because they couldn't keep up with the snow. Since Detroit was 'close' they ended up letting the plane refuel and continue to Pittsburgh. She got to the airport around 2 or 2:30am. By the time she dug out her car and got home (roads still had a layer of snow on them) it was 4:30am.

We ended up having school cancelled today. It was good because I was able to catch up on sleep because I was up until midnight trying to figure out where Beth's flight was going and if she needed to get a hotel by the Detroit airport.

Another bullet blog will be saved for another day to update training, college hoops, spring training, family get-togethers, and all the boring thrilling details (yeah right) during my "what I did on my solo weekend."

3 comments:

Beth said...

Dumb snow.

Steve said...

lol I saw your commute and thought ughhhhhh!! I felt horrible. I should have said something, but I wanted to bug/annoy JPH instead. lol.

I also saw Beth's predicament in Detroit. I check out her Twitter wall once in a while. :)

Unknown said...

sounds like my commute a couple weeks ago when it started to snow in the afternoon and the federal govt. closed early. thousands of people on the roads around dc in the snow does not make for a quick commute.