Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Just because I haven't blogged in 10 days

Not much going on here, but I noticed I hadn't updated since a week ago Sunday.

Some random musings:

*Not sure what to do about this College Basketball team adoption program. No team has really jumped out (although Tennessee is still being considered). Arizona had a big win at Oregon over the weekend and sits at 3-3 in the Pac-10 (where ZERO teams are ranked!!!). Maybe U of A has a shot to make it in there? Who knows. I thing I do know is that Penn State is having a rough start to the Big Ten season...0-5!!! I'll see where things are after the Super Bowl and move on from there.

*Beth's on the DL with a rib muscle type thing. We're hoping it heals soon. I didn't know exactly what to do with myself on Saturday since she wasn't training. So, I went to the pool and did 2000 yds and then ran for 45 min. Sunday I did an hour-plus. I felt lost not having my weekend lane mate and running partner.

*I went to our high school's girl's basketball practice last Wednesday. It's a great workout, but so humbling. They are so good. I guess that's why they're #1 in the state and #11 nationally, according to the USA Today. From practice, I am reminded of two things. First, it's a hard transition to do all the lateral and backwards motions after doing just running since last March. Secondly, I'm not 20 anymore and stay sore from said movements for a good 2-3 days.

*I received an amazon.com gift card from Christmas and ordered two CD's.

1. Unidos Permanecemos by Hillsong United. The Praise music group from Hillsong Church in Australia tours all over the world with their music and has a live concert that they did in South America IN SPANISH. I've always enjoyed Spanish and it stuck with me from high school. I thought it would be neat to hear praise music in Spanish and see how the words & meanings were the same and different.


2. The Live Set by Michael W. Smith. One of Christian music's staples of the 80's recorded a live concert back in 1986. It rocks and brought me back!!! Beth just rolled her eyes at the cheesy 80's music. Most of it is pretty lame, but there's a lot of energy with it being a live concert.


*Slowly but surely I'm transforming from an absolutely and terribly SLOW swimmer, to just a swimmer that moves at a snail's pace. I did a 20x100 workout where I was able to keep my 100's at 1:50-1:55. It's a big improvement to have the endurance to maintain that for more than two or three at that pace and to keep them under 2:00. That was my barrier for most of the past year. Although I still only swim 1-2 times per week, so not expecting much more of an improvement any time soon.


*How about Scott Brown's Senate win in Massachusetts? Who knew? We'll have to see how this affects the health care debate.


*Indoor track meets this Thursday (Pitt) and Saturday (Robert Morris). Triathlon clinic Sunday.


Should be a fun weekend!

4 comments:

Steve said...

slacker!!!!

BTW I thought that was a nice gesture on your part slipping Beth the "X" in scrabble. At least it cheered her up for a bit. ;)

Wendy said...

Hi Oscar, Have you ever listened to Salvador? Awesome band as well. Tell Beth I'm praying for her to heal quickly.

Barb said...

I would just like to say CONGRATS on the swimming progress Oscar!!! It took me over a year to get to the point where I could swim 20 x 100 between 1:50 and 1:55. That is a great accomplishment!! I hope your partner in crime (and training) is back in the game very soon.

Marit C-L said...

NICE on the swimming Oscar - keep it up! Sounds like a lot going on and a fun weekend ahead :)

Give Beth a hug for me! :)